Getting Off to a Strong Start Pre-Recorded Webinar
Ever have trouble getting started?
Many people sit for a painfully long time in front of a blank screen waiting for the muse to deliver a spark of creativity. In such moments of paralysis, writers struggle with two problems: They have no sense of where they are going in the entire message, and that, in turn, makes it more difficult to write the opening paragraph.
I don’t know where to begin!
This webinar will show you how to sort through the topics cluttering your head and how to establish some order so that you have a clearer sense of where you are going.
But how do you make it interesting?
The opening paragraph is often the most challenging for writers. Everyone knows that the first sentence or two needs to capture attention, so why is it that so many fail to do that? Because making an opening interesting or compelling enough to draw a reader in is more challenging than people realize.
Some openings are vague; others are boring, silly, or confusing. Whatever the case, they don’t make the reader want to read.
This webinar explores the nuances of an effective opening and provides techniques that encourage a reader to stay with you, whether the communication is an email, a news release, a feature article, a formal memo, or a complaint.
- How you can write an effective opening paragraph on any significant email so that you convey what is important
- How you can avoid the dull leads that have been common to news releases for decades
- How the lead on a feature story differs from a news story
- How you can use four techniques to make the opening interesting
- How to tactfully open a “bad news” message
- What details do you include in the opening paragraph?
- What should you omit? How direct should you be?
- How much does the reader truly need to know in the opening?
- Can you have a one-sentence paragraph?
- Why do journalists ignore so many news releases?
These are among the questions we cover while looking at actual examples of openings, some good and some that you will be able to improve after our discussion.
After purchase, you will be automatically re-directed to the webinar.